I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Eupatagus Antillarium

I have been absolutely dieing to blog about this! A couple of weekends ago, the guys went salt water fishing in the Gulf. My son-in-law Josh went snorkeling, too. He brought home a Eupatagus antillarum. What's that? It's a fossilized sea urchin from the Eocene Epoch, about thirty-eight million years ago!

I squealed with delight when he gave this to me! I had to do some Google-ing to find out exactly what it was. I was puzzled that it looked like both a sand dollar and a sea urchin. I was so tickled when I discovered what it was, and how old it is! The hole is supposed to be there, I thought it was a flaw. There was another hole in the bottom where the mouth was, but it's now covered in what I guess is limestone.

I just wanted to share this awesome find with you!

See ya later,
Del

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeee that is sooooo cool Mom! Love it!

Kerri Farley said...

What a fabulous find!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...