I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Fall Seashell Garland

I have been wanting to make a banner, or a garland, for a looooong time. I see them everywhere, and they are usually made of fabric, or paper. My daughter Laci crocheted some banners! Well, I finally got around to making my own, and it was inspired by the lovely fall weather.


It was really easy, and I'm sure you are wondering what this has to do with seashells. Let me show you!
I started with this ball of hemp, and measured a length of it to my front window. I added 4 more lengths of hemp to the first measured strand. Take the 5 strands, and get them even. Tie a knot in the center, and then tie a knot every 6-8 inches, or where ever you'd like your pretties to be.
I bought 2 packages of plain fall leaves from Walmart for $1 each, one with glitter, and one without. I hot glued the top center of two leaves together, with the leaves slightly off center from each other, added a little hemp bow, and glued a periwinkle shell on top of the bow. I repeated this many times...with the glittered leaves, and attached them to the knots with hot glue.

It is exactly what I was dreaming of, and I love it! I did measure it for the front window, but haven't finished my window treatments YET.

Now for the leaves without glitter.... take one leaf, glue a hemp bow on, and a seashell. Hot glue this to a few pieces of hemp long enough to tie around a cloth napkin....see where I'm going with this?!
So simple, so pretty....and so ME! I think it's perfect for a Florida Thanksgiving!

I'm working on one for Christmas next!

Are you doing handmade crafts for the holidays?

Have fun, and have a beachy day!

Del

7 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

YOU are SO creative. That banner is such a great idea! I may have to steal that idea. LOL.

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

How sweet is that!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those really turned out nice! I love adding a shell to everything! I just need more shells! heehee! ♥♥♥

Completely Coastal said...

Love them on the napkins!! Orange is such a great warm, yet fresh, color!

Tootie said...

I love your idea! Seasonal decorations are my favorite!

Shelllady said...

Beautiful Della!!

Sheryl Hastings said...

I love these! So creative. I'll be looking forward to the Christmas ones.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...