I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ladies Mens and Unisex Seashell Jewelry

I had so much fun over the weekend playing around with my shells. The latest hunt inspired me to dig into my stash, and do some creating!

I really love this simple copper sharks eye (moon snail) necklace! The sharks eye is soooooo smoooooth, old, and worn. I have some more of these, larger, and smaller. This is for a lady!
I just don't see a guy wearing something with a crystal dangle, but I could be wrong.

I went for a more rustic look using some broken fighting conchs. A guy could wear these, they are rugged, and manly.
This is a neat chunk of conch shell! It has been tossed and tumbled in the sand by the surf, and is worn down, and smooth.

This hunk of fighting conch is a little lighter in color, so I went with a white leather lace/cord.
Most of this guy is pretty smooth, but he does have a few rough edges. Not rough enough to cut, but not quite as worn down as the previous one. I finished them with a lobster clasp, not being quite long enough to fit over some guys big heads. But we don't want them to hang to the belly button, now do we?

These would be fun to wear to a beach party, luau, costume party, or even a simple and casual beach wedding. I can see my hunky man standing on the beach, wearing a stark white linen shirt that is billowing in the wind, with a chunk of shell suspended from a leather cord. We do plan on renewing our vows on the beach one of these days, and we will be costumed accordingly :D

I went back a few decades, the 70's to be precise, and did a little macrame. This slipper shell necklace can be worn by a man or a woman. They call that unisex.
Kind of hippie, kind of bohemian, and very simple. Earthy, natural, and organic. This macrame seashell necklace also has an old broken, and worn down smooth olive shell ending the necklace. A toggle made with an unfinished wooden bead completes this piece.

Slipper shells, also know as the Atlantic slipper shell, (although I found it on the Gulf side!) are very common shells in these parts. Slippers are found as far north as Nova Scotia, and into the Gulf of Mexico.

These are really cool shells, and resemble a house slipper on the underside. I have found these in colors ranging from white, to a dark thin veiny looking stripe, and in various sizes from quite large, to very tiny.
Some are kind of flat, and some are more curved and humped.

The macrame necklace was inspired by my aunts and uncles who were teens, and young adults in the early 70's. I was just a little girl then, and had so much fun with them.

To read the more elaborate descriptions (some more elaborate than others!), you can see these in my Etsy shop!

I'm already planning another trip to the beach! I really want to stay inspired!

I haven't forgotten about my jingle project, have you?
I do have several things I'm working on, and really hope to get some of them completed SOON. It will mean changing, or adding a new shop section :D
I really wish Etsy would let us have more than 10, cause I could use about 15 sections!

In other news.....
I'm taking it pretty easy right now, and foregoing FOOD, and liquids, only drinking enough to stay hydrated. I'm NOT dieting. I'm having a flare of my pancreas, and to avoid going to the hospital, I'm doing basically what they do to, or for me when I have pancreatitis. It is autoimmune related, and I've dealt with it many times. So many in fact, that I got myself through the last 4 or 5 on my own.

IF I were to get an Etsy order, and couldn't make it to the post office, I do have family members who could go for me. Laci also knows how to deal with an order completely, but I don't plan on being that ill!

I'll be okay in a few days :D








9 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Please take it easy and get well soon. I hate to hear that you're not feeling well. On another note - I love the leather and macrame with the shell jewelry. It totally reminds me of the 70's, which was my favorite era as I was a teenager then and I wore lots of fringe vests, bell bottom jeans, granny skirts, leather hats and bandanas. Where's my Pink Floyd album??

Shelly said...

Im a sucker for a swirly.. therefore I adore the moon snail one. Its absolutely beautiful and reminds of Ursula's necklace in The Little Mermaid! PS - Hope you feel better!

Completely Coastal said...

These are all so lovely!! The conch being my fave, so simple. I find these in RI too and the pieces are super smooth. I hope you feel better soon!!!

Eyelah said...

I love the new shells! I like that they are unisex. I hope you feel better and get lots of rest!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope you feel better soon! I love all of your new designs! You are always making something new and different...things I fall in love with! Take care of yourself this week and get stronger! It's a work out to walk on the beach! Hugs! ♥♥♥

DaCraftyLady said...

Hope you feel better soon that cannot be comfortable to say the least. :( I do love your shells and I like the simple look with the macrame' it does remind me of the 70s. I too was a teen and wore lots of fringe and leather and moccasins were big too. Wanted to ask you about Etsy sections? in the shop? I really would like to split mine up...I just got a new line of crochet jewelry that I am working on that needs to be alone. So I will go check out your shop to see if I can figure out what you mean? Or maybe you can clue me in??? Debb

Kaybe said...

We have tons of the fighting conch(& other) whorls on our Manasota Key beaches. They are so beautiful after the surf tumbles them smooth. The leather looks very boho with the shell. I'm an ole hippie chick so I'm cool with it :D

Sheryl Hastings said...

I do love your more rustic pieces. I think it would be suitable for a man but I could see myself wearing something like that as well.

I sure hope you feel better soon!

Shelllady said...

Della, I'm so sorry you are feeling bad! I hope you feel better very soon!!

Those slippers are just frustrating to me....!! There are so many color combinations, that they so often look like something else....even an alphabet cone or Junonia! I can't tell you how many I have picked up thinking they were something else!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful jewelry with us! I love it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...