I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Little Beach Trip

I am so glad to be done with January. Seriously. January has winter written all over it. Even though we had an amazing January temperature wise, it's still all brown around here. All it takes is a freeze or two, and the flowers and grass are done for.

A quick cure for the January doldrums is a trip to the beach!
Looking off the balcony of our room at Clearwater Beach, we had quite a new experience this time. Usually we head down to Belleair Beach. It's very quiet and peaceful down there. Clearwater is different, at least it was where we stayed. We had wonderful tropical music coming from a live band down by the tiki bar.
 About 8pm they switched over to an 80's cover band, and it just got better! They did play until 2am, and people lingered and talked until 4am. A few young stragglers were on the beach till the sun came up. I didn't get any sleep, and that's why you haven't heard from me! I've been resting!

On Sunday we drove over to Honeymoon Island, through Dunedin, and took the ferry (a big pontoon) over to Caladesi Island. You can only get to Caladesi by boat, and it's something I had been wanting to do for years.
I really just needed to get my toes in some beach sand.

I found some shells, but my best two were found around the rocks over at Clearwater while we were picking up cans and bottles that had been left, or washed into them. People were looking at us like we were nuts or something. One lady even put her book down to watch. Silly people.

My bags of shells are sitting in the screenroom waiting for me to recuperate enough to clean them. I've pretty much done nothing but sleep since we got home.....oh, and I slept all the way home, too.

We will definitely have to go over to Caladesi again. Next time we are taking backpacks, and walking to the far end of the island.

8 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

It's always nice to get away for a few days. I've never heard of Caladesi Island, but I'm going to go look it up.

Kaybe said...

Honeymoon is the beach I grew up on. My dad was a firefighter on Clearwater Beach & my grandpa was the bridgetender on the old Sand Key bridge. I still love those beaches even now that they have been built up so. Contact me before you go again & I'll give you some insider info. Looks like y'all got your toes nice & sandy.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love to drive over there sometime! Love that soft sand between your toes! I think I still have some in my car...but it's just not the same! heehee! Take care this week and get plenty of rest! Can't wait to see what you found! Hugs! ♥

Daniella said...

How awesome that you took a trip!! I thought you lived in florida, am I wrong?????
I've been to florida several times. Down state, lauderdale by the sea. And another close place to that. Pompano maybe? We used to go to visit family when our kids were babies. We haven't been back in like 12 years!!!
Glad you had a fabulous time!! And that you got your rest!
xxDaniella

Eyelah said...

It looks so pretty there! I could use some beach time. The weather has been awesome this past January.

DaCraftyLady said...

What a nice trip and the sand was so white, I bet it was beautiful to be out with the ocean breeze the seagulls and just the shells and your hubby...

BTW you are the winner of the contest on my Crochetoholic blog. :)
Congrats! Just email me your addy and I will get them sent out to you....Debb

Cindy Adkins said...

WOW, it looks gorgeous!!! Nothing is more special than the beach!!! XO Cindy

Unknown said...

I love Caladesi Island! The sand is amazing! Looks like you had fun. I really like the beach this time of year---no sticky sweat and sweltering sun. I can actually enjoy it haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...