I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring

Spring has definitely sprung around here! All of the trees are getting, or have gotten their new leaves. Even my maple tree! It doesn't usually get leaves this early.

Thinking of spring has me thinking of my little Mockingbird family. The pair are here every year, and raise a nest of babies.

One year they chose the topiary tree by the front door as the place to build their nest! And I took pictures!
They've been choosing other trees around the yard to raise their family, since the topiary froze out, and was removed.

Laci has 3 of these pics framed and hanging on her wall. The eggs, the babies, and the empty nest. They make a great set!

Did you know a male mockingbird can learn 200 songs in its lifetime? And they don't just mimic other birds, but insects and frogs, too! I love listening to them.

The Mockingbird is our state bird, and I want to keep these birds safe. They are always welcome in my yard!

10 comments:

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Awesome pics girl! Happy Spring

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Beautiful pictures. Yes, spring is definitely in the air!

Migrainista said...

Happy Spring indeed! What fun to have those sweet little babies in your yard!

Kaybe said...

Oh I love baby birds. I want some rain so the pond outside my door will get ready for my ducks that visit every spring.

DaCraftyLady said...

oh my gosh what perfect pictures. They look like they need feeding.Spring is here was 72' here today. :) just starting to see more Hummingbirds a flutter yesterday one took a bath in our pond. :)

Sheryl Hastings said...

You have shown us a great and beautiful example of Spring! Up here in Indiana we are having Summer weather! It's the oddest thing because we usually still have snow, but we sure are enjoying it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those babies are so precious. We have a singing Mockingbird in the tree across the street. He sings away all day. We love our birds here...there's such a wonderful variety on our feeders every day.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

The sweetest birds! Spring has sprung here in RI too!!

Almost Precious said...

Lovely photos, very poignant though as it reflects life so accurately.
We build and feather our nests, raise our chicks and they grow up, leave, build their nests and start their own families.
The circle of life . . . a little bittersweet at times but exactly how it is meant to be.

Theresa said...

The Mockingbird is also the state bird of Texas. We have them all around us, but I have never seen any babies in the nest like your gorgeous pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...