I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Seashell Saturday

Happy Seashell Saturday!

You wouldn't believe how many shells we found! It must be in the thousands! Hubby said it would take me a week to clean them.
Challenge accepted!!!

First, I soaked, and cleaned all of the shells. Then the sorting began...
Old sheet pans, and muffin tins work great for sorting shells.
All cleaned, sorted, and put away in less than 2 days! WooHoo! I win!

I only counted the jewel box (spiny oyster) shells, and we found 286 "jewelry quality" jewel boxes! I love hearing hubby refer to the perfect shells as "jewelry quality". He so gets it!

From large to tiny, we found various shells of all sizes. All kinds of kitten paws!
Some of them were even doubles!
And some had another shell grown onto them....

I love the pink calico's, but the orange and yellow ones are so pretty!
Looking at all of these shells gets my creative juices flowing!

Guess what I'll be doing today?

It's time to PLAY!

Happy Seashell Saturday everyone!

Love,
Del

11 comments:

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Hey there, great finds-good idea on the muffin pans. This is what my dining room table looked like in Jan when we came back from FL. Your jewelry is exquisite!

Leo said...

Wow - that is quite an amazing collection you have going on there! And those kitten paws are so precious. I love those shells. I have to organize mine as well...but I can say my collection is no where as extensive as yours! Happy Seashell Saturday! Have a great weekend.

Lindsay-ann said...

I hope you are having a great day 'playing' with your shells. We do not have such a great selection on english beaches. The first time we visited Florida we went on a sealife safari with the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. We stopped at a small island to collect shells. I filled a big bag and when I got back on the boat a man asked me if there were any left on the island! My husband explained that we would probably never come back again and we didn't get such lovely shells in England. I put them in a clear vase and have them as a momento of our trip. I loved washing them all and sorting them.
Happy Seashell Saturday.
Lindsay
x

Stephanie said...

WOW!!! 2 days? You are good!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Well..this post topped them ALL! I went to my hubby's laptop and opened up your blog! I stood and looked over his shoulder as we went through each and every post! How we enjoyed it! We found 2 kitten's paws last week...and thought they were the CUTEST little shell! And doubles? I'm not sure I've ever seen those! What amazing shells! Just out of this world beautiful! ♥♥♥

Cheryl K said...

Wow, you've been busy! THose kitten's paws are cool, and the yellow scallops are gorgeous!

Bren said...

oh my goodness.... i am sooooo jealous!!! On the west coast of USA we dont have such shells available.... i want to come east for shells...LOL

SarahBeth said...

Kitten paws! How sweet -- I've never heard of that term before. The light yellow ones are so pretty! Bet you'll make some amazing things with all these beauties!

Amanda said...

Wow, you found a ton! I love sorting shells (or anything, really), so I loved seeing the photos of your sorting process! And I've never heard of kitten paw shells, but they are so cute!! :)

Completely Coastal said...

It is hard to believe!!!! Wow! And I love all the sorting picture!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Love the muffin tin idea. and look at all those shells! I want to come to your house and play!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...