I've been collecting seashells for as long as I can remember. From east to west, coast to coast, and shore to shore, I always find a treasure to keep, and adore.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Off Center Seashell Necklace

I may be a little late, but I made it! I was waiting for my camera battery to charge. Isn't that the way it goes sometimes? You take one picture, and "battery is exhausted". Oh I hate it when that happens :(

So, I played around with another shell while I was waiting, and did a couple of Etsy listings :)

I have made a few asymmetrical necklaces, but never just an off center necklace, and when this shell spoke to me and said that's what it wanted to be, well, I had to listen.


This is one of mom's shells from Mexico!


The simplistic gal in me came out on this one. No sparkle, no shine (except the beads!) and no bling.


The larger beads are milky white, and the smaller beads are a beautiful Mediterranean blue dyed jade.
The one wood bead acts as an accent to the shell.


To mimic the natural coloration in the shell. The shell is old, worn, and has been tumbled by the surf... making it so smooth.


I carved out the center of the wood bead facing the shell, and added a drop of glue to keep it right there. No twisting and turning. I also left all the little beach pebbles lining the opening of the shell to keep the wire hidden inside.

This was a fun shell to play with, and I learned something. Sometimes it's best to leave nature alone, and just go with it. It sure was the thing to do with this one!

Have you ever worn an off center style necklace?

5 comments:

Migrainista said...

Love the off center necklace. I love it when things are not symetrical :)

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

That turned out great - the one wooden bead is perfect!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it...and I don't think I have on purpose! lol I love long necklaces and have them twist on me sometimes, does that count? I love the color of these beads. I'm ready for Spring colors, aren't you? Sweet hugs!

Cheryl K said...

Love the colors! Sometimes simple is more beautiful.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I agree! That is such a pretty shell and no bling was necessary to make that necklace beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...